It is a misconception that mold growth only occurs in the summer months. Mold can grow at any time of the year when the conditions are primed for growth. Mold, especially black mold, can be very dangerous to your health. Stopping mold growth is something every home and business owner must take seriously.
The environmental protection agency (EPA) suggests the following five steps to eliminate mold growth during the winter:
- Make sure that you have cleaned your gutters. Full gutters can lead to water seeping into the house and allowing mold to grow in areas not commonly used.
- Ventilate your house. Even during the cold winter months, you should open a window for a while or open your door to let fresh air circulate in your home. Stagnate air is fuel for mold growth.
- Clean up any condensation around pipes, window sills, or other areas that may form because of the cold outside versus the warmth inside. Moisture is a breeding ground for mold.
- Keep humidity levels low in your home. Mold thrives in humid conditions.
- Immediately treat any area where you think mold may be growing.
Tulsa Home Inspections Look For Mold Growth
Part of our Tulsa residential home inspections includes looking for mold. Mold is not only damaging to your lungs when you inhale it, but it is also very damaging to your home. Any porous surface, like wood, drywall, clothing, or upholstery, is a food source for mold. If left untreated, mold can consume your home.
Our Tulsa residential home inspections will check areas that are most common for mold growth to ensure that the property is safe. If mold is found, mold remediation may be necessary to ensure that the home is safe to inhabit. Mold growth may also be a reason not to purchase a home.
We also conduct Tulsa commercial inspections in addition to our Tulsa home inspections. Businesses, especially industrial properties, are a haven for mold growth. It is important that these structures are checked for mold routinely or before they are sold to ensure that there is no mold present. Our Tulsa commercial inspections will check these properties thurp=oghly for mold.
Mold is a naturally occurring organism that is everywhere in the world. However, preventing mold growth in your home should be a priority to protect your health, and the structural integrity of your home.